Astros star Carlos Correa says he’s planning for free agency, sends social media into frenzy

FILE - Houston Astros' Carlos Correa smiles after drawing a walk against the Oakland Athletics during the ninth inning of Game 2 of a baseball American League Division Series in Los Angeles, in this Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020, file photo. Correa is among roughly 125 players who entered Friday, Jan. 15, 2021, eligible to exchange salary arbitration figures with their teams.(AP Photo/Ashley Landis, File)
FILE - Houston Astros' Carlos Correa smiles after drawing a walk against the Oakland Athletics during the ninth inning of Game 2 of a baseball American League Division Series in Los Angeles, in this Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020, file photo. Correa is among roughly 125 players who entered Friday, Jan. 15, 2021, eligible to exchange salary arbitration figures with their teams.(AP Photo/Ashley Landis, File) (Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)

The dream of keeping the vaunted Houston Astros infield together may be fading, according to star shortstop Carlos Correa.

Correa confirmed the Astros offered him a 6-year, $120 million deal that he declined.

What Correa said

“What was reported on the 6-year, $120 million-offer was a couple of weeks ago, and there was no conversation after that. We haven’t spoken on a possible extension since then. I’m preparing like I’m going to be a free agent this year.”

Why 6 years at $120 million?

As pointed out by The Athletic’s Red Sox beat writer Jen McCaffery, the offer mirrors the contract Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts signed in 2019.

At the time, Bogaerts was 25 and had just led the Red Sox to the 2018 World Series title. Bogaerts has since had two massive years for Boston, finishing fifth in MVP voting in 2019 and 17th in MVP voting in the abbreviated 2020 season.


About the Author: