MINNEAPOLIS – Constable Mark Herman with Harris County Precinct 4 said his office is ramping up patrols on nearby churches after a deadly shooting at a Minneapolis Catholic church left two children dead and injured 17 others.
Constable Herman said his office will be conducting extra patrols at churches throughout Precinct 4.
Recommended Videos
“The safety of our community will always come first. We want our residents to know that we stand with them, and that our deputies will be a visible presence to provide peace of mind as they attend services,” said Constable Mark Herman.
Although there is no known threat to the Houston area, Herman said he is taking these measures out of an abundance of caution.
The shooting happened on Wednesday, just before 8:30 a.m., when a shooter opened fire with a rifle through the windows of a Catholic church in Minneapolis and struck children celebrating Mass during the first week of school.
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said the shooter, who was armed with a rifle, shotgun and pistol, was in their early 20s, did not have an extensive known criminal history and is believed to have acted alone.
Chief O’Hara added that officers immediately responded to reports of the shooting, entered the church, rendered first aid and rescued some of the children hiding throughout the building as other emergency responders arrived.
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz called the violence “horrific” and said his state is heartbroken in posts on X.
Walz and President Donald Trump ordered flags to be lowered to half-staff on state and federal buildings, respectively, and the White House said the two men spoke. The governor was the Democratic vice presidential nominee in last year’s election against Trump’s running mate, now Vice President JD Vance, a Republican.